For February, I set a goal of finishing my youngest’s daughter’s eighth quilt. For more on the motivation for making the quilt, see this post here.
With all the traveling I did this month – 11 days out of 28 – I wasn’t sure how I was going to finish it, but I did!
I adapted Thomas Knauer’s Palimpsest quilt in his Modern Quilt Perspectives book. It fits her toddler bed perfectly.
Since I already had the top put together, the major task was the quilting. I used my long arm machine to quilt all over flowers.
I’ve been wanting to try this quilting design for a while ever since I discovered it in Angela Walters’ Free Motion Quilting book. I thought it would take a while since the design quilts up fairly densely, but it went pretty quickly once I got a rhythm going. It took about 3 hours altogether, not counting the stops and starts to take care of the kiddos. Plus, I did have to stop from time to time to stretch my arms and give my wrists a break from making the little arcs that form the petals.
This floral quilting design is pretty forgiving of inconsistencies in the spacing. Somehow when it’s all done, they all flow together nicely.
I couldn’t decide on one fabric for the binding so I went scrappy. I think it’s perfect for this scrappy quilt.
I had some of the backing fabric left over and stitched up a pillow case to match. It only took about 10 minutes to make and kept me from adding to the scrap bin.
This quilt is another w.i.p. that I can knock off my list! Hooray!
Linking up to A Lovely Year of Finishes!